Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Utah Trip 2010

In 3 weeks have done the following (you know there are lots of pictures...do I have to say beware...LOL):

Crossed through or stayed in 6 states - Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nevada
2 National Parks - Zion's and Snow Canyon




3 football camps - BYU (twice) / SUU
Cleaned 2 houses
Packed and re-packed the car about 6 times
Ate at Zupas 4 times | Jamba Juice - too many to count | In & Out 4 times | Cafe Rio twice
Kids ate free at IKEA - yes, this is a highlight for me!
Hiked the Y in Provo with the 2 kids and they walked by themselves the WHOLE time. (1 mile +)
Hiked about 5+ miles at Zion's and the kids once again didn’t have to be carried.
Saw 2 Polygamist women at Ross in Southern Utah...those that are interested...they purchased white Keds.
Also saw the LARGEST man I have ever seen...his legs were bigger than the width of Joel’s shoulders around...this is not an exaggeration and we were at McDonald’s. 
Visited with 4 college friends and one ex-missionary that served in Gilmer.

Passed 8 temples, Provo, Draper, SLC, Monticello, St. George, Mt. Timpanogos, South Jordan, Mt. Oquirrh

Shopped in 6 different Down East Basics stores.  Don’t judge me...judge Joel.  He is CRAZY!
Traveled about 4,000 miles
Spent 94 hours in the car
1 Dinosaur museum


1 BYU Bean Museum

Brigham’s Winter home

1 Owl, 2 lizards, 2 deer, 2 baby bird eggs hatch

Swam twice
Screamed at the Garmin numerous times...because I am always right when driving.
Crossed Draper mountain 1/2 a dozen times
Worked too many hours on the computer...yes someone shoot me now! :)
Took 2,500 pictures
1 Sealing - Congrats Carly and Andrew

The kids met 3 of their Great Uncles, numerous cousins, and their Cousin Cameron...okay really just Joel’s.


Brooklyn slept over at Liz and Heath’s once and camped out with “Aunt Bugga” and her cousin Gracen once.
Caught Toy Story (We ALL loved it)
Thanks to Joel’s efforts BYU offered one of his kids a full ride to play football in 2011
Visited two LDS visitors centers (SLC and St. George)
Got to see Heath and Liz’s new house...yay!  Congrats guys!

Put jackets on 3 times...just about perfect weather for summer.
Survived 78 mile/hour winds while riding a horse and buggy (not the brightest idea I have ever had)

Major Cities visited: Albuquerque, SLC, Provo, St. George, Vegas
Tore one contact so hiked Zion's with one eye.
Slept in a full size bed for 11 nights....yes I am a Saint!
Quit counting how many pine cones we picked up for Uncle Don....Jack became a little obsessed
Held a 3 week old and that is ALL Brooklyn has talked about since.
1 water gun fight...Heath ended up just dumping the water on the kids...some things never change.  :)

1 hot dog roast












Visited the Hoover Dam

Weathered High 40’s to 115 degrees
Saw one Ferrari and one Bentley
One motorcycle that drove right down the middle of the lane
Changed the car seat WAY too many times!
Passed a bicycling group that were riding from Austin to Anchorage in 90 days.  Crazy stuff!
Listened to Cameron and Joel go on and on about Ex girlfriends and “dates” and how they still have “it” (whatever that is) 
Bowled and the results were  Cameron, Britni, and Joel....yes Cameron still has to win at everything, but surprisingly Joel and I didn’t fight! :)

No hospital visits!
One case of Vertigo...Joel started off the trip with it...and it was No Bueno!
One “pop a squat” event along the interstate with the other girl in the car and no we were not successful!
Went 9 miles in 2 hours on Day 1 about 40 miles outside of Albuquerque.  Yes we wanted to SCREAM!!!!
Mailed post cards once I got back to Texas....always a day late and a dollar short..thats me!
Tried to coerce a least a dozen friends to move and come see us in Texas.  You people know who you are....COME ASAP!
Had “Vacation Sunday” twice.  Translation - sitting in church not worrying about the responsibilities that I have to fulfill after sacrament and we still kept the Sabbath day Holy...just short.  Yes...you can say SLACKER! 
Ate too much = Gained too much = My swim suit will not be happy and thus those around me.  Hey its VACATION!  :)
3 weeks of memories made...Priceless!



Favorite sayings by the kids during this trip:
*Jack called Aunt Patty the following: Aunt Potty, Aunt Bugga (her grandkids call her Bugga), and Grandma Grape.  Man he was so confused.
*Another Bugga related story...we were in St.George near their home we were staying at when we saw a roach.  I said ewww...don’t touch it and Brooklyn replied, “We are near Aunt Bugga’s home...maybe thats were she got that name.”  I had to laugh...smarty pants.
*When leaving Cameron and Tara’s house I said, “Brooklyn put the water down, the last thing I need is a peeing little girl every 10 seconds.”  In which she replies, “ Mom I have to be hydrated for the trip.” 
*While we are at Hoover Dam, we got out and walked around.  There was a Jeep just like ours with a Texas license plate and all.  I said “Oh, look guys there goes are car.”  Jack replied,  “Oh, no my candy is in there!”  Joel asked him, “ are you worried about anything else?”  He replied, “my bags too, but I really wanted my candy!”  Yes, he is my moms little candy man...the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. 
*When seeing the Y on the mountain Jack would scream, “Look...the BYU!”  It sounds like BAYOU though.  He has a little cajun in him I guess.
*I was talking Brooklyn about the early pioneers and the persecutions they went through.  We then discussed Joseph Smith and him being executed in Jail.  When she comes out of nowhere and with lots of passion, “If I was there I would’ve kicked those mean men in their faces!”  Jack then piped in and said I would’ve shot back with my gun!  My kids have such a fierce streak in them sometimes.  LOL

10 comments:

david said...

sounds like a fun trip. the kids are so big. way to represent Rocket Pride up at the Y :)

Tara said...

Wow! You guys packed a lot into that short time. What great memories for your family.

I seriously love the blonde hair!

And I am also the type to stop at every Down East store. I can't help it, I keep thinking I might find something different at each store. =)

Liz said...

Yeah for you!! Looks like y'all had a ton of fun. Great family pic by the temple too!!

Tara said...

We are so glad you guys came to see us!! I had been way too long. We will make our way to Texas soon. My kids loved you all.

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Saville Family said...

What a trip! Although, there is no place like home :)

brooke said...

wow, reading your blog made me feel like I was there with you guys!! sounds like a blast. We really miss our BYU days... we want to go back soon but don't really have any other reason to go. Skiing sounds good enough!

Nik said...

Makes me tired! LOL We are heading to Utah on the 19th, so we will follow in your car treads. :) Glad you made it home safely and had a great trip!

Amy said...

Awesome post!! What do you have going on this week or next? We need to get together. I know Logan would love to play with Brooklyn and Jack.

Brooke said...

Loved the way you posted that! Good times!
WE were so glad to be able to spend a little time with you.
So glad you made it home safe, in one piece!